Did Your Child Experience Bullying or Abuse in School?
Our Los Angeles School Bullying Attorney Is Ready to Protect Your Child’s Rights
Bullying is a very common problem that affects many school-going children. As a parent, you should not take bullying lightly. Bullying can sometimes cause devastating emotional and psychological effects on the children who fall victim to it. Cyber-bullying through the use various communication technologies is sometimes used to humiliate or taunt individuals, often magnifying an already painful experience. In most cases, schools and teachers have an obligation to act on substantiated cases of bullying on school property. If your child’s school failed to take action, then you may be able to hold the institution accountable through a legal claim.
If you suspect that your child is a victim of bullying, there are steps you can take. Pursuing a lawsuit may enable you to ensure the bullying stops and never happens again. When you partner with a school bullying attorney at Ramey Law P.C., we can ensure that your child’s complaints will be heard. We can advise you of your legal rights and help you consider the best plan of action.
What Are Common Warning Signs of School Bullying?
There are many forms of bullying which could occur in various situations. Bullying is physical, mental, or verbal acts that a student commits with the intent of intimidating, harassing, or causing harm to another. There are some warning signs that could indicate your child is a bullying victim, these include:
- Your child shows up from school with unexplained bruises, cuts, or bumps on various occasions
- Your child is alone most of the time, both in school and at home, and appears not to have a lot of friends
- Your child no longer likes school and may try to avoid attending.
- Your child starts missing school more and often just asks to stay at home.
- Your child starts performing poorly in school
- Your child is suffering from depression, sadness or moodiness most of the time.
- Your child is suffering from low self-esteem.
- There is an increasing change in your child’s eating habits.
- Your child changes the route to school, even preferring a longer route.
- Your child is complaining of physical pain such as backaches, stomachache, and headaches.
- Your child is having trouble falling asleep and often has recurring nightmares.
What Can I Do If My Child Is Being Bullied?
Fortunately, you can prevent or stop school bullying by taking some steps. Legally, all schools must do everything in their power to help stop or prevent any bullying known to them. If a school ignores or does little to stop or prevent bullying, then they are legally responsible for all of the harm caused by the bully. If you find that your child is or has been a victim of bullying, then the following is a list of things you can do to solve this issue:
- Be a good listener. One important thing you can do is to talk to your child every day. Make it a habit of asking how their day at school was and other school-related questions. Getting a child to open up over an issue such as bullying is a challenge, and so you should learn to be a good listener.
- File a complaint with the school. If you discover that your child is bullied, then you should complain to the class teacher and the principal about the issue and everything you know about it. The complaint should be in writing, complete with date, nature of incident and details.
- Keep a record of accounts. It is as important to ensure you keep a detailed record of all incidences that have occurred, and any responses you receive from the school regarding the issue. Include your child’s statements and those of any other witness.
- Talk to the school’s counselor. If your child’s school has a guidance counselor, then ask to meet with him or her along with your child.
- Code of conduct. Check the school code of conduct to see if the school has done what they should do to prevent cases such as school bullying.
- Seek legal advice from a Los Angeles school bullying attorney.In case you have done all the above and there has not been a solution to the problem, then it is necessary to contact an attorney to consult about the problem. A lawyer can help you and your child to pursue legal claims against parents and/or schools that have not done enough to prevent bullying.Top of Form
Need Help to Stop Bullying? Contact a Los Angeles School Bullying Attorney
No child should face abuse of a bully. A school is a place of growth and formation and what happens during these years will affect a child for the rest of his or her life. As a parent, you should protect this time at all costs. Whether you are just now realizing that your child is at risk to be in an unsafe environment or you can no longer to find resolution on your own, you can benefit from giving our California school bullying lawyer a call.
Ramey Law P.C. is recognized and respected in the legal industry among multiple judges, mediators, and colleagues for fighting for our clients while providing fair analysis of a case’s value, as well as its strengths and weaknesses. We approach each case with fresh eyes and a renewed passion. We always seek to give each client the care that they deserve. Every member of our team works diligently to meet the needs of every case, especially if your children are involved. Contact Ramey Law P.C. at (310) 988-2400 to discuss your civil case with an experienced attorney.